Thursday, August 28, 2008

We're Going to the Zoo

Today we are going to the Hogle Zoo. So pack your sunscreen and some snacks grab your zoo map and lets go on an adventure!

First stop, the Zoofari Express Train Station for a quick ride and tour. On our way to our next location lets stop to play in the water on the giant globe.


Next we'll head over to Ghost of the Bayou exhibit where we will met Antoine. He is one of only 10 white American Alligators in the world. He is not an albino. He has bright blue eyes (albinos have pink eyes) but has a genetic mutation called Leucism that prevents his skin pigment cells from producing the coloring of a normal alligator. Crazy huh!















Now lets go over to the Primate Forest. Here we meet an old grandpa Capuchin Monkey that had lost almost all of his hair. There is also lots Lemurs and little monkeys that look like they have a lion mane.

Look at this Rhino daddy, he has big ears for me to grab.


After our encounter with the monkeys we are stopping in Africa to see the elephants. Here there are three elephants. If you listen closely you can here one of them that decided she wanted to bite the wood off the fence. We just hope she didn't eat her way out of the fence.

We just saw a Red Panda who looks more like a fox or a raccoon. So why is it called a Panda if it looks nothing like the Giant Panda? Ammon read that the word Panda means bamboo eater. That's why they are both Pandas but are so different.
See mommy, I'm a Panda too!

Next lets head over to the African Pavilion.

Camden, Camden what do you see?

I see a Black Bear looking at me!

Now off to see the zebras. The Zebras wanted to give their best side for the picture!
Next on our list of things to see was the giraffes! They are hanging out inside to keep cool. There is a "baby" giraffe that was born the month before Camden. She might have been a baby but there was nothing little about her. Did you know that a mommy giraffe is pregnant for 14- 15 months and a newborn weighs about 110 lbs and may be 6 feet tall. Wow, I'm glad I'm not a giraffe! During its first week, a baby can grow more than one inch a day, and will be almost 10 feet tall by the time it is a year old.
Are you my mother?



Lets go to the Asian Highlands to visit the cats.
This leopard is doing what all cats do, he's taking a cat nap. We have to be quite and try not the wake him!
Opps! Too late for that. Do you think he sees us?

I think we better stick to these tigers out here, they seem to be more safe!
Camden was biting the ear of the baby tiger so Dean decided to do the same.
It's our way of saying hello I guess.
Taste like chicken!

It's closing time, time for the animals to go to sleep. The zoo closed 30 mins ago and they are gonna kick us out. But before we go lets get a closer look at the peacocks at the peacock pavilion. Did you know that peacocks will eat goldfish right out of your hands. Hope this is part of their diet!


Thanks for going on our zoo adventure with us! Until next time...have a great day!



6 responces from friends:

Tiffany said...

I love the adventure commentary! Great job!

Rachel Mohat said...

Loved the pictures! I liked the one of Dean and Camo eating the statues best. I can't wait to see you, hurry up and get here!

Whitney Booth said...

I love this post, it is so cute! It totally makes me want to go to the zoo! I love all of the pictures. What a fun day!

Katelyn said...

Cute post! :) I love it! And did you really go to the zoo all day and not bring a stroller... if so I am WAY impressed! ~katelyn
(oh- that was one seriously freaky alligator)

Walter and Lynsi Hohmann said...

Thanks for the tour! It looks like you guys had a fun adventure! You picked up some really cool facts along the way. The pics are way cute too.

Brooke Hargett said...

I LOVED this blog! All the pictures you put on are so fun to look at! You have such a cute family!!

Daisypath Anniversary Years Ticker