Sunday, May 30, 2010

Introducing Carson James Altice

Name: Carson James Altice
Date of Birth: Friday May 28th, 2010
Time: 3:44am
Weight:7lbs 14oz
Length:20 inches
Delivered By: Roberta Ward CNM
Timpanogos Hospital

I was due on the 25th but he decided to come on his own time schedule. I was scheduled to be induced on Friday but luckily went into labor Thursday night around 7ish. I called the midwive on call to let her know that I was in labor and would be driving to the hospital soon. My contractions became more consistent and closer together around 10:30pm to drive the 35+ minutes to the Timpanogos Hospital in Orem. I lucked out in the fact that I went into labor when I did because the labor and delivery was very full! 9 babies were born than night (it was a full moon). They informed me that they most likely would not have taken me that morning to be induced. They had 5 scheduled inductions on Friday but there was just no room.
After about 45 minutes of pushing and sunny side up looking at the world (just like big brother) Carson entered the world at 3:44am. He was having a hard time adjusting to breathing so they took him to the nursery to be under an oxygen hood. They slowly weaned him off of the oxygen but then he was breathing too fast! They didn't get to bring him back to me until about 6am. I was so happy to have him back and to feed him. He had no problem picking up the concept of nursing. His second feeding he nursed for 30 whole minutes!
The postpardum was full so we got to go up to the 3rd floor around 6:30. Then they came in about 3o minutes later to move us again! Still on the 3rd floor but this time to the pediatrics area. To apologies for the inconvenience they gave us two free movie passes.
It was a long night but well worth it (it was much better after the epidural was in...I don't know how women give birth without it...I am too much of a wimp! The 8 hours of feeling the contractions was enough for me!) Thank goodness for adrenalin because I only got about an hour nap in the next day and 3 hours the next night.
We got to come home Saturday around noon. It was good to be home but the sleeplessness hit me light a rock!
Camden has been so good with Carson and loves to hold him, hug him and kiss him! He is such a good helper and is very interested in everything that goes on with him. Last night I was up nursing Carson and Camden woke up and came out to the living room where I was crying and said "put that baby on the couch and hold me!" Thankfully grandma was there to hold baby brother when he was done eating so I could cuddle with Camden for a little bit.

I will post more pictures soon! Oh and to add to the mix we are also potty training Camden. I will do a post on that soon...he is doing great!

4 responces from friends:

Amanda said...

CONGRATS!!! I hope you get in some good naps while you have help there:)

Jennifer Lee said...

Congratulations!

Makenna Pratt said...

What a cutie! Hope you're doing well. Tell me if you need anything . . .

Charlotte said...

Congratulations! So exciting!

Daisypath Anniversary Years Ticker